Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Digiscoping on the Dob

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've used SGL, but it's good to be back! I'm just beginning to dip my toes into the vast and terrifying world of imaging. So far I've been concentrating on fairly simple long exposure photography of the Milky Way and making some star trails (Will post some of those up at the moment) but I've set my sights on other targets of interest and want to explore the possibility of taking photos of bright objects just using the telescope and my DLSR - what I understand as basically being digiscoping.

I have a Nikon DSLR (D5500) and several telescopes, all alt-az mounted. What adaptors and bits do I need to take pictures through the 'scope of stuff like the moon and the bright planets? And is this feasible? I know it's common practise for birders who can't shell out thousands for the big, fast, long lenses, but I'm not sure how easy it would be with astronomical objects.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Paul

Archived