NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A day in Leeds

part timer

Spent yesterday at the Leeds astromeet and it was a very good day indeed. :thumbright:

The speakers this year were were if anything even better than last year and the topics were varied. My particular highlights being Prof Fred Taylor on Venus Express, prof Michael cruise (who managed to incorporate humour into a lecture on gravity waves!) and of course Dr Allan Chapman was (as always) very entertaining with his talk on astrology (yes astroLOGY)

I also broke my promise to myself not buy any more eyepieces :hello2:

Also got some filters and a fantastic book on astronautics.

I've been for two years in a row now and can honestly say I shan't bother going to astrofest any more.

So were any other SGLer's there yesterday?

Ah, weddings.... some of the worst days of my life have have been spent at weddings :hello2:

I've just spent the day testing my new polarising filter in the PST and it works a treat :hello1:

also gave my new 11mm eyepiece a spin in the little 90mm Mak looking at the moon and some birds (feathered kind I hasten to add!). I was really surprised at the quality of the image.

maybee tonight I'll test the o3 filter :p

No had to catch the Train from Hull.

Fine on the way there but the more traditional British rail service was offered on the way home. Train was 3mins later each time I looked at the departures screen. Then when the train came it had magically become the York train causing chaos with people jumping on and off in confusion and staff just watching!

Then on the way home there was a crowd who only wanted to go to south Milford but nobody mentioned the fact that only the front carriage opens it's doors there, so they all ended up in Selby.

Archived