NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Not another List !!

Having used DSO Planner for a few days I'm really getting to like it.  Needs a bit of reading up on but its very good.  I now prefer DSO at the eyepiece. However the free version of SS seems to incorporate a few more catalogs missing in DSO.  There's a few Carbon Stars listed on the PDF not transferred to the CSV as DSO didn't list them.  Will still need SS to track those down. 

(Edit: though I suppose stars are not specifically DSO objects, which DSO Planner is actually about)

Most of the so called Carbon Stars are simply bright variable stars  with the C spectrum. All of the lists you see online are compiled by passionate observers. Exactly like your list.

DSO Planner doesn't provide such a list by default, but it can display these stars from the GCVS (General Catalog of Variable Stars). That's a custom catalog, which you need to import into DSO Planner as a User Database. You can find that GCVS catalog in DSO Planner format here: http://dsoplanner.com/GCVS_General_Catalog_of_Variable_Stars along with some instructions.

In order to get Carbon stars only just edit the text file and remove all lines which have sp= (spectrum) import field not matching the "C*" pattern (e.g. by importing it as csv to Excel, sort by the sp column, and delete everything before and below the C-spectrum group).
Another option is to create the same importable observation list as yours above listing carbon stars by their Flamsteed names e.g. CY Cyg. You can find a nice list of them in Excel format here (sure thing, the GCVS should be already imported as the User Database to reference from).

Hi Alex 

DSO planner question.

I've impoted my list Ok and have set the star chart to display only the objects on the list.  Hovever when I adjust for visible magnitude for my location I am not seeing any futher update on the star chart.  All the DSO's remain on the chart even when the limiting naked eye mag is set to 3.  

First of all, make sure you have the objects' layers feature disabled. It's enabled by default to avoid confusion (to look like an ordinary star chart). In the Star Chart open the menu and uncheck two checkboxes in the "Star, object and image layers"/"Object layers". I know, that's confusing, I need to persuade my colleague to disable that by default.

Then, make sure you have set up and selected your telescope and eyepiece. The default one, I think, is 8" which is powerful enough to show your objects (which are rather easy, i.i.r.c.) even in heavy light pollution.

Finally, don't look for changes on the chart, you may miss them. See if the selection is changing in the Selection List (there is the total number of selected objects at the bottom).

Also, keep in mind that objects will be removed only when they are under the threshold visibility value you have set. So instead of disappearing from the list they might just degrade their visibility score and remain listed (the visibility score is shown in the Object's Details screen per eyepiece). Try to set the score to 5 in the selector for experimenting.

Oh! Wait a sec. How do you have your list imported into DSO Planner?

If you've been using the Observation List import feature then there will be no changes in objects by the visibility, as the Observation list is what you have selected to observe by multiple methods of selection (import is one of five available, object selector is another). In order to use the automatic "Object Selector" facility of the app (which is the only method filtering objects by their visibility score), you need to import your objects as the User Database. Only then they will become full-fledged objects visible to the "Object Selector" on par with integrated objects.

Archived