NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Avx vs heq5 for C9.25

markclaire50

Hi

For imaging of planets and DSO, which mount would you pick out of these two. I see lots of good jupiter images using Avx, but very few are available for C9.25 and heq5. I think the payload rating is higher on heq5 but what about ease of goto and accuracy of tracking? 

Thanks 

Mark 

3 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

Hi

For imaging of planets and DSO, which mount would you pick out of these two. I see lots of good jupiter images using Avx, but very few are available for C9.25 and heq5. I think the payload rating is higher on heq5 but what about ease of goto and accuracy of tracking? 

Thanks 

Mark 

I wasted so long deciding between these, I finally chose the HEQ5 and glad i did. Huge amount of help out there for this mount. As for tracking, im having issues at the moment but its mostly down to user error and getting to grips with guiding, but straight forward tracking out of the box its hard to beat at the price. As for planets, thats mostly video image stacking, tracking isnt as critical as its bursting a couple of thousand frames and stacking them, long exposue DSO is where tracking comes in. When I get all the software working properly together, nothing wrong with the mount itself, 10-15min subs are fairly easy. Not sure the 9.25 is really the one to choose for DSO's though

38 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I wasted so long deciding between these, I finally chose the HEQ5 and glad i did. Huge amount of help out there for this mount. As for tracking, im having issues at the moment but its mostly down to user error and getting to grips with guiding, but straight forward tracking out of the box its hard to beat at the price. As for planets, thats mostly video image stacking, tracking isnt as critical as its bursting a couple of thousand frames and stacking them, long exposue DSO is where tracking comes in. When I get all the software working properly together, nothing wrong with the mount itself, 10-15min subs are fairly easy. Not sure the 9.25 is really the one to choose for DSO's though

Thanks for your reply. Heq5 goes back to the top on my list. I already have a skywatcher 80mm ed which I originally bought with wide field AP in mind ? I also have the 0.85x reducer and camera adapters for D7000 camera. 

I also have a127mak.. I haven't actually done any AP yet. However I assume that to get bigger, smoother images of jupiter and saturn, like those on astrobin, I need something bigger! I could go down the route of tracking Dob like skywatcher 200-300px range for that. But since I want to use my 80ed for long exposure dso and need a good mount for that, it seems more logical to get a eq mount that can also handle a bigger aperture longer focal length scope. I was also thinking of 180mak for planets, but people tell me the C9.25 is better overall. Of course, I could get both! Although not new, as I couldn't afford that as well as the mount. Would you advise buying a new  mount, rather than secondhand ? And with rowan belt already fitted? 

I have also been thinking about 130pds for faster exposure but sounds like heq5 can handle longer subs for 80ed, with reducer. 

Thanks

Mark 

I'd recommend sticking with the ed80 and pair it with the heq5 to learn all the basics of AP. As soon as you get into longer focal lengths that's when you need experience and some deity on your side. 

I've had some nice, though not impressive Jupiter pics with my mak90. Stick your gear on the heq5 and I think you'd get quite a surprise. 

Archived