NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion & Running man nebular

Zupio

Hi All, new to the forum. I thought I would share my third attempt at taken a picture of this subject and first time using a scope (Scope recently purchased from @Terrierist thanks for a smooth transaction)

I am really please how this turned out as I didn't plan on imaging as just wanted to try out the scope and then got carried away, so mount was pointed in best guessed north without using polar scope.

Taken on 22-Feb-2019

• Skywatcher 130pds
  • Eq5 mount with motor drive for tracking
  • Nikon D5100 set at iso1600
  • 24x30" lights, 16 darks
  • 40x15" lights, 9 darks
  • 4x8" lights
  • 3x4" lights
  • 30 bias

Processing

• Stacked in DSS processing each exposure time desperately.
  • Edited in photoshop as separate layers, using layer masks to pull detail from each later Stretched RGB and then stretched each
  • channel to alight colours
  • Adjusted curves to boost a little contrast and then sharpened

m42-orion.jpg

Thanks, yes I have had a few years photography experience, but recently got into astrophotography.  I learnt a lot from my first two attempts and decided to get multiple exposures to stop the core from getting too out of control. 

Attached other attempts for reference, both taken on 70-300mm Nikon lens. One was 4 seconds untracked at 6400iso and the other was tracked at 60 seconds at 1600 iso

46650847242_3562f8798a_z.jpg

33092860148_8e652750a2_z.jpg

Archived