Heart and Soul

942662772_SumHearHascaled66b.thumb.jpg.4039b26ec320161b7c0ae2c2ae454992.jpg'm carrying on with experiments under the Moon.

Tonight I tried to get both Ha and OIII on these two.  I shouldn't have been so greedy -  the OIII on the Soul was unusable despite getting 3 times the exposure.  The Ha was surprisingly clean.  This mosaic consists of two panels - each 7 x 120s.  That is a total of only 28 minutes!  I rotated the camera by about 5 degrees between frames to get them to line up better, but I still had to rotate the Soul by about 1/2 a degree when I put them together.

Scope FSQ106ED, Camera STL6303e,  EQ6 with EQMOD.  Calibration in CCDStack and processing in the Gimp.

HandSCdC.jpg

10 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

I think this is a common problem under moonlight, unless you go for the 3nm ones. Despite that, that is quite a nice result for 28mins under moonlight.

I'm trying to learn about the effects of moonlight, transparency seeing... etc.   So, I went out  just to see what the result turned out to be.  I'm currently in "learning" mode.  So, I sometimes have a go without trying to get a good image.  These sessions have been incredibly productive.  The last couple of nights have given me a much better feel for what I can actually do with both Ha and OIII.

I took 28 minutes of OIII data on the Heart, but I would have needed about 4 times this to bring it up to the same standard as the Ha.  The Soul was much worse.  It could be that the Soul has much less OIII, but I think that a small amount of haze developed between the two targets. 

Both filters are now 3nm.  Over the last couple of nights I've learned that, for me,  OIII is much more difficult when the moon is around.  Both Ha and OIII are being affected by the moonlight,  but the effect is much stronger on OIII, and the effects are further multiplied by even the smallest amount of haze.

Archived