Pacman nebula - my first proper try with Oiii

mikey2000

One of my little christmas treats was an Oiii filter to go with my R G B and Ha filters.   Here's the first proper attempt, with several different combination techniques (borrowed from the LightVortexAstronomy tutorials... ?

I wonder, is it normal to get the halos around the narrowband bright stars?  I use ZWO filters.   The Ha seems more prone to it and the Oiii is the Mk2 which is supposed to be less prone to halos but still shows them.

Anyway, here's the first one (16x30s each of RGB leading to  Synthetic L, 11x300s Ha and 12x300s Oiii)

Pacman Nebula SynL RGB Ha Oiii

And now some narrowband combinations, named according to the narrowband tutorial on LightVortexAstronomy

Simple Bicolour:

Pacman Nebula (Ha Oiii simple bicolour processing)

Synthetic green channel:

Pacman Nebula Ha with Oiii (synthetic green)

And finally, the most fake looking but strangely attractive...

Blended Channels:

Pacman Nebula - Ha and Oiii

On 05/02/2019 at 10:23, mikey2000 said:

One of my little christmas treats was an Oiii filter to go with my R G B and Ha filters.   Here's the first proper attempt, with several different combination techniques (borrowed from the LightVortexAstronomy tutorials... ?

I wonder, is it normal to get the halos around the narrowband bright stars?  I use ZWO filters.   The Ha seems more prone to it and the Oiii is the Mk2 which is supposed to be less prone to halos but still shows them.

Anyway, here's the first one (16x30s each of RGB leading to  Synthetic L, 11x300s Ha and 12x300s Oiii)

Pacman Nebula SynL RGB Ha Oiii

And now some narrowband combinations, named according to the narrowband tutorial on LightVortexAstronomy

Simple Bicolour:

Pacman Nebula (Ha Oiii simple bicolour processing)

Synthetic green channel:

Pacman Nebula Ha with Oiii (synthetic green)

And finally, the most fake looking but strangely attractive...

Blended Channels:

Pacman Nebula - Ha and Oiii

OIII is in general more prone to halo than Ha...however the MK1 ZWO Ha filter is so bad that it is worse for halos than the Mk2 ZWO OIII. If you got the MK2 Ha then I suspect you would get very minimal halo by comparison....not that I recommend that even, get a baader. 

Archived