NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Questions about a Skywatcher Flextube 200p Dobsonian GoTo

Hello all,

After 20 years with only a 60mm old refractor, I want to buy a new scope, with a larger aperture (8inch) for DSO observation, a relatively easy, adorable and portable scope.

So potencially a Dobsonian comes as first option, and ideally with GoTo could be an added bonus, as I could explore beginning EAA (autotracking on a Alt Az mount would allow exposures up to 10 seconds from what I heard from other people)

The Skywatcher 200p Flextube fullfill this criteria. My concerns are two:

- that the GoTo system is noisy. I never worked with GoTo before but I would enjoy a relatively quiet system. Can I reduce the speed when the scope is trying to search the target? (I do not mean when using the hand controller to move around)

- that is too heavy to carry. I plan using s handcart for s 5min walk, but still I want to know how heavy is the base and the tube in lbs or kg, and how wide is the base (only for the GoTo Flextube version)

- I heard you can still use the scope manually, but are movements smooth or are they difficult?

My other consideration was the Orion Intelliscope XT8i, if I would skip the GoTo (there is also the XT8g but the Skywatcher is cheaper)

Anyone here with the Skywatcher 200p Flextube GoTo?

Much appreciation for any support.

Archived