Quick, Early Leo Galaxy Session (Jan. 14)

cloudsweeper

It was clear out for a change, so the Bresser Dob was set up and ready by 3.30am.  Leo's Sickle was dominant, highish in the south.  As a starting point for relatively easy galaxies, I got Chertan in the Rigel and hopped straight down to 73 Leo.  In the same FOV, two of the Leo Triplet of galaxies were immediately seen, namely M65 and 66 - small, faint, and fuzzy in DV, but a pleasure to see so readily.  Going from to x42 to x64 and x106, the galaxies became much clearer, and the N-S elongation of M65 was more noticeable.

I went for the more elusive third member, the Hamburger Galaxy, NGC 3628, but there was no sign at the expected location because of the sudden deterioration in transparency, so the session ended after an hour.

No great breakthroughs, then, but it was still good to grab the opportunity to marvel at some cosmic treasures!

Doug.

Great start on Leo ... spring must be just around the corner!

My personal favourite of the Leo galaxies is NGC 2903 ... probably just my contrary nature ... I can understand why Messier missed it, but have never forgiven PM for not including it in the Caldwell list ...

Archived