Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

binoviewers

Was looking through my "local" (Canadian) astronomy reselling website the other day and this is what I found...

http://www.astrobuysell.com/propview.php?view=12809

Are binoviewers worth the price? I see this ad has 4 eyepieces included and Williams Optics are reportedly an upscale manufacturer (though I can't vouch for the eyepieces he's selling). Do they increase the fov at all, or do they exist mostly for comfort? I see this set is around $240 new so maybe it's not a great deal?

There a good buy at that price including the LV 9mm's as well as the standard eyepieces.

Bino viewers are great on planets and the moon but not so good for deepsky, it also depends on whether your brain can merge the images.. some people cant.. so do try a set first if you can.

Hello "Jamieren"

I have a pair of "Astro Engineering" "binoviewers" with two basic Skywatcher 100mm eyepieces and two 26mm GSO quality plossls.

Personally I have found the binoviewers give views which are much better than using a single eyepiece. I get a real "3D" effect when viewing throug two eyes. I rarely use a single eyepiece anymore - except when perhaps wanting to view a deep sky object (you do lose quite a bit of light with binoviewers, simply because you have to use a 2x barlow to achieve focus with most scopes - which doubles the magnification of whatever eyepiece you are using).

However, I have successfully used them without the 2x barlow, on my 90mm Maksutov, and my TAL100RS refractor.

Also used them on my 8" Skywatcher Newtonian.

The views of the Moon, Saturn and Jupiter are truly amazing through binoviewers. Everything looks so "3D!"

With regard to eyepieces, I have found the best views are to be had using the 26mm Plossls. I have tried two 40mm Celestron E-Lux eyepieces, but these show "black" spots which impeded the view. I would think the maximum one could go to with low power eyepieces when using binoviewers would be 32mm.

I find the "Astro Engineering" binoviewers easy to "collimate" (to get the two eyepieces to merge the view into one) very easy. There are two focussing rings and two collimating rings under the focusing rings. You focus each eyepiece individually (the same as with normal binoculars) then look through with both eyes and if the view is uncomfortable (not merged) then simply turn any one of the eyepiece colllimating rings and you can see the view merging as you turn. If it doesn't, just try turning the other collimating ring. I have had no problem getting the AE binoviewers to collimate, whatever eyepiece I've used.

Whenever you change eyepieces, (for a lesser or more powerfull set) you have to go through the individual focussing and collimation process again. You even have to re-collimate if you just tweak any one eyepiece which you think needs a slight focus adjustment - that is the downside. (But it does only take a few seconds to acjieve collilmation).

I find, because they are heavy - and my AE binoviewers only have one single locking screw - you have to ensure they are securely attached to your telescope.

And of course, if different people want to view things through your binoviewers, you will need to perhaps adjust the width of the eyepieces (as you would with ordinary binoculars).

When I have let people look at things through mine, I find they are quite amazed at what they can see - whereas when you let them look at things through a single eyepiece, sometimes (until they get the hang of it) they say they cannot see anything!

Before I bought mine, I asked similar questions as you have - because it is quite an expensive item, and as others have said, they don't suit everyone - or some scopes. In the end I had to "take a chance" and buy. Because they worked - and suited me, I never regretted my purchase, and would not part with them (well not until I could get hold of an even better pair!).

If you can try a pair, that would be ideal. Other than that, if you buy, just ensure that you can send them back for refund if you find them unsuitable.

That's about all I can say "Jamieren." However, if you want to ask me a question I will try to answer.

Best wishes,

philsail1

Thanks Phil. I'm finding that's the way of things with astronomy (and life in general for that matter). Try it and find out! Unless the guy gets really desperate and wants to part with the binos for a steal I think I'm gonna stay put for now. Got a 14mm pentax and a 24mm panoptic on the way. Better save me pennies for that next purchase. Appreciate hearing another angle on the whole thing... and man I gotta get out to a star party to see some of this stuff without having to drop hundreds to find out what it's like.

Just to be curious, I've got a f4.9 dob (see below), anyone know offhand how much they like binoviewers? As mentioned above with the barlow for focus I think might make the whole ordeal frustrating. Won't hold my breath for a reply on this one kids!

Archived