NGC 7640

petevasey

NGC 7640 is an almost edge on spiral galaxy in Andromeda. Reasonably large, but faint at magnitude 11.1 Interesting in that although there are no nearby galaxies, it appears somewhat distorted. If there has been interaction it must have happened a long time ago.

Although last night (1st November 2018) was forecast to be clear, I had another engagement, and would not be home until later on so would not be able to collect much data (full dark was at 6.35 pm with Moonrise at 11.55). But I decided to take a chance on leaving the system running with the dome motor in action, and it paid off - I set it away at 6.10 and when I returned 4 hours later all was well with the telescope only slightly off centre in the dome slot. I kept imaging until an hour after Moonrise - the 34% illuminated Moon was on the other side of the sky. In the end I only had to scrap one sub frame - the very first luminance which was taken when there were remnants of clearing clouds. So I ended up with 15 x 10 minutes luminance and 8 x 10 minutes each RGB, all binned 2x2.   QSI 683 wsg on RC10 truss with SX AO unit.

Cheers,

Peter

NGC7640.jpg

Archived