NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

reflex finder

Crossway

I wondered if someone might have an answer to my query about using a telrad type finder.

Having experimented with various types of RDFs,    I "home constructed " a  reflex finder based more or less on a design  from an  SGL link ( I think)  but now unable to locate.   It works very well indeed  but owing to  age related dodderiness  I  am unable to target anything which exceeds say a 40 degree elevation .  So I set to to find a way of using a  45 degree mirror  assembly  which in theory would permit  finding targets even at the vertical.   Well,  the set up between the  unit and the mirror seems to be  perfect but the application is  most disappointing. I find  great  difficulty in uniting  the  reflected image of the  red  "dot" in the mirror  with the  reflected image of the target.  I think I have got something wrong here.

I am sure that I have seen reference somewhere to a 45 degree extension to  a reflext finder  and would be  so pleased if anyone could  tell me something about this.

With Thanks

Pete.

Hi Pete.  An astronomy friend of mine had a similar problem when he struggled to view through his Telrad at a high elevation.

If you look at our sponsor’s website (FLO) then look under - accessories - finders - Telrad -  Telrad accessories, there’s a Telrad dewshield that includes an option for a mirror. That may be what you’re looking for, and was what my friend used to sort his problem, and use his Telrad to aim overhead.

HTH, Ed.

Hi Ed,  Thank you for your advice.  Had a good look at the FLO illustrations and comments  and  the set up between the  finder and  dew shield/ mirror seems to be very similar to the way that I  did it.  I think I need to spend more time  on" field trials"

Pete

Archived