First go at the Milky Way

Hi,

I just bought my first DSLR and happened to a reasonably dark site so I had a go with imaging the Milky Way! It was also my first time even seeing the Milky Way properly in years, what a feeling!

Taken with Canon 77D and 18-55mm kit lens. 

Single 20s exposure, f4, ISO 6400. Processed in Photoshop following some online tutorials. Feel free to give advice! :)

Cheers,

J

valmis_insta_100.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2018 at 21:18, Radman40 said:

Great image. Where did you go? It is getting harder and harder find dark locations these days.

Sorry for delayed answer.

This was actually taken in Kihniö, Finland. Luckily we still have some nice dark spots here. :)

J

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice with the kit lens, which has not the best reputation.

Next upgrades: AstroTrac or equivalent to allow you to eliminate trailing for exposures of tens of seconds or minutes at a time. And a better lens, though it seems from this image you have a very good example of the 18-55.

One can photograph the Milky Way from any sufficiently dark location anywhere in the world, but where you are you can see something few of us can: the Aurora Borealis! Your next project ;)

Being half Finnish myself, i’m well overdue a trip to visit some cousins  Aurora is on my list!

Cheers, Magnus 

Archived