Think I'm gonna need a bigger scope

Paul67

I shouldn't have done it but I had to try.

I took my ST 102 for a short 5 minute drive to somewhere with no obstructions to the views. The vantage point looks out over the whole of Manchester to the west and 360 degree views. Knowing the ST was not meant for looking at the planets didn't stop me trying.

First was Mars which was the first to pick out not long after Sol had disappeared below the horizon, sighted with the stock 25mm plossl and then a 12mm BST giving 40*,just a small salmon coloured dot, next went in the 5mm BST giving 100*, a slightly larger blurry disk. The 5mm barlowed didnt improve things and proved very difficult to focus

By now the 2nd point of light showing in the sky was Saturn, using the same magnifications proved better than Mars, the rings were clearly visible albeit small but no Cassini division and no colours, everything was the same whitish hue. I remember my Tal 1 refractor giving far more pleasing views 15 years ago.

Jupiter was now visible in the west and showed a small featureless mushy disk with its moons showing like tiny stars. I'd had enough by this point. It was nice to see Saturn again and leaves me now wanting something I can see some details

Things to take from this session, use the ST 102 for what it was built for and you wont be dissapointed, use it for planets and well...

Oh, did some Luna viewing last night at the end of a 3 hour session once it popped over the treeline and was quite impressed with its performance there, just don't do planets. :)

Interesting report - I've had similar with my st80. Have you tried using colour filters? I've found they help a bit, as they get rid of the chromatic aberration. I can just about see the GRS on a night of decent seeing - not fantastic but an improvement on featureless. If you can pick one up cheap off Astroboot it might be worth a try.

Baader semi-apo filter is a decent bet too, though a bit pricier and the short tubes are never going to be great planetary performers.

Billy.

9 hours ago, Paul67 said:

Knowing the ST was not meant for looking at the planets didn't stop me trying.

???

Excellent work! ? There’s some top notch stuff to be seen out there. Sounds dumb, but the best kit to see it with is the kit that can see it. It’s impractical dragging my dob to somewhere that can see the planets low on the southern horizon, so the winner has often been the ST102, or even the binos, because the neighbour’s house won’t be in the way!

The ST102 is great for solar with a wedge, but also a line filter to tighten the views. Although I agree with your general sentiment on the ST102, I’ve had slightly better views than you describe ( e.g. banding on Jupiter), so possibly part of the problem was seeing, or just the low altitude of the planets right now. That said, I’m happy having switched to a 72ED this year, sacrificing aperture / deep sky performance for a gain in versatility. It’s terrific on the planets (with realistic expectations given the small size of the thing). For rich planetary detail though, choose something bigger of course! ?

Archived