IC 1396A - Elephant Trunk in Ha

CKemu

A little bit of work in progress, managed two panels of 16 images @ 720s per image, so a little over 3 hours per panel. This was in "not ideal" conditions, 22mph gusts of wind, periodic clouds and a rather big fat Moon. Got to love narrow band for it's ability to fight almost everything.

Planning on OIII and SII runs, indeed it's clear tonight, so will be making an attempt tonight.

I've imaged this region before using my LX90 8" with a reducer, but it was a three panel effort with a much narrower field of view, so thought it was a good idea to revisit it, and have a proper go.

IC 1396A -2P 2x16x720s Ha Edited.jpg

That's a really nice, vivid image.  Well framed.

I did not get much from this object with O3 .... ie. similar timed subs did not yield much more structure to the cloud, mostly it re-enforced the light that was already there.  Maybe need a lot longer integration and exposure time to match the dynamic range of your Ha.

Try a Bi-colour composition when you get the O3, that is  usually a "wow" moment in front of the laptop.

Sean.

20 hours ago, Craney said:

That's a really nice, vivid image.  Well framed.

I did not get much from this object with O3 .... ie. similar timed subs did not yield much more structure to the cloud, mostly it re-enforced the light that was already there.  Maybe need a lot longer integration and exposure time to match the dynamic range of your Ha.

Try a Bi-colour composition when you get the O3, that is  usually a "wow" moment in front of the laptop.

Sean.

1147541747_IC1396A-P1ha16x720s.thumb.jpg.a064ffce32588891032eb364861cff39.jpg

Ha Raw

701252837_IC1396A-P1o316x720s.thumb.jpg.40092c1055a6311bad9dc3955a3878b1.jpg

OIII Raw

Both are made from 720s exposures x 16 frames. The lack of detail in the OIII suggests a couple of things to me, either there's not much OIII in the region, or that the full Moon was causing a contrast wash out. Admittedly I plan on getting around 30x720s in Ha, but now considering either longer subs for the OIII (or though does that cause an inaccurate balance of data), or waiting until the Moon clears off (when it will no doubt be cloudy).

Anyone have thoughts on this, finding Ha shots of nebulae is easy on the web, finding Raw OIII data to look at online is tricky - so really hard to know what to expect from this filter.

19 hours ago, upahill said:

Excellent shot, love the clarity. Was this taken with the ATIK414ex in your sig?

Narrowband imaging is something I would love to get to do - it seems the only clear nights around me at the moment are the full moons.

Yeah these are all taken with the ATIK414ex, and I agree with that, clear nights always seem to fall around annoying fat Moon time.

Archived