Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

a small and compact "white-light" solar rig.

RT65CB-SWL

I don'know whether this is going to be the right section, but here goes anyway.

Some of you may have already seen my "white-light" solar rig as per the photo below in other topic sections of SGL.

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG

So today I would see if I could make a small and compact "white-light" solar rig. The OTA is from a 50mm binocular lens assembly and a 50mm (approx) length of delrin tube, that I purchased via AstroBoot during 2017 with the intention of making a 50mm finderscope or a small and compact telescope for taking away on a trip if I am away from home for a few days.

IMG_0692.thumb.JPG.8185497bc7ec3efefd32e253c47ff0ae.JPG 
As per the photo above, I attached my Lunt Herschel/Solar wedge, plus solar contiuum & polarising filters to a 15mm Plossl. The view was a smaller disc of the Sun, than that viewed in my TeleVue Ranger and just about reached focus for my observing eye. I then tested with my 8mm Plossl and I found that it needs more inward movement to achieve focus. The only way to achieve focus would be to reduce the length of the delrin tube. I do not have the necessary tools, so this is not possible. I have tried it on nightsky/celestial and terrestial targets by pulling out a star diagonal, (or pulling out an eyepiece if inserted into the star diagonal), in small increments. I do not have a full aperture solar filter for this size or solar safety film to make a DIY solar filter at present, so this will have to go 'on-hold' for now until a later date.

It was fun though to try to see if it is or was possible, even though there are still no visible sunspots again today.

Thank you for reading and wishing you all clear skies.

Archived