NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bubble broadband

darditti

I have been continuing my experiments imaging nebulae with the Canon 350D, C-11 and Orion Skyglow filter.

I took some recommendations from people here and started recording images in RAW format, and programming the shutter sequence with DSLRShutter. Most of the problems I had earlier with the procedure I have resolved. I was also able to review the images remotely from the warm room over USB after taking (but I recorded them on the card). Putting the camera on to a mains adaptor and disabling its auto-sleep function helped resolve some problems.

Here is a result on the Bubble. Less than an hour's exposure time, so not enough to show much, and the tracking drifted. (I autoguded using a 100mm refractor - this doesn't work perfectly with the C11 at f10, the imaging focal length is so long you need to guide through the imaging light train. Radial guiding would be better.)

Still, the result compares fairly well with my narrowband images of this object using a CCD (e.g.http://www.davidarditti.co.uk/NGC7635-08-08-15l2hosC11frx.jpg, considering how short the exposure was, and the processing is quicker.

I find the framing is really time-consuming with the DSLR, however, if you can't see the object.

David

NGC7635-08-10-22SkyglwC11EO.jpg

Hi David!!!

Glad to see you shooting in RAW now and you have also manage to resolve other issues you previously had.......

Getting the image in the correct position in the frame neednt be time consuming, hopefully a quick 20 sec sub will show enough data for you to be able to get it centred, you may end up taking a few shots before its centred but all the time spent is worth it when you get results........

Nice image by the way........

Mark

Hi David,

Glad your getting there with the issues and the images are looking great :)

All the changes you have made so far are exactly the right things to do.

Framing - I max out the ISO whilst takign the framing shots and go by the brighter stars matching them to previously planned sketches rather than going to a specific object or star I now go to the Ra and DE cor-ords taht I have previously determined.

I have the FOV's defined (just realised I havent added the Mg 72 yet ) in the software that I use and have scales on the camera adaptor so that I can rotate the camera to a predetermined angle.

I have also staretd saving the final positions into the user area of the handset.

Billy...

Archived