QHY5L-II options

Hi

I have a QHY5L-II and a Star Adventurer mount and was wondering what my best of 2 options are, as far as imaging is concerned.

I can either employ the Polemaster conversion:

Polemaster.thumb.jpg.ad6249dede7390cf7ae1bd31ef8fd06e.jpg

Or use it as a finder guider:

Finderguider.thumb.jpg.bdc927c49d648b905b126fa785dc2481.jpg

Both options are currently viable, but which one will improve my tracking accuracy more, within the capabilities of the mount? (FWIW, I have previously imaged at 720mm fl unguided).

Cheers,

Kev

Why not just do both? I would assume that accurate polar alignment will be more beneficial as the SA can only be guided in one axis only....RA.

I do that with my QHY5L-II-M, I first polar align my mount using the 25mm lens then swap the lens for the 130mm QHY miniGuideScope and use it as a guider.....best of both worlds.

Or as an alternative, you could align with the finder guider using SharpCap and not swap lenses.....I have also done this....but I prefer aligning with PoleMaster as the FOV is so wide.

12 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

Why not just do both? I would assume that accurate polar alignment will be more beneficial as the SA can only be guided in one axis only....RA.

I do that with my QHY5L-II-M, I first polar align my mount using the 25mm lens then swap the lens for the 130mm QHY miniGuideScope and use it as a guider.....best of both worlds.

Or as an alternative, you could align with the finder guider using SharpCap and not swap lenses.....I have also done this....but I prefer aligning with PoleMaster as the FOV is so wide.

I did consider that, but isn't removing the QHY5L from my bracket and then screwing it to the back of my finder gonna upset my PA?  It's wedged in pretty snug in the mounting bracket i made, and the star adventurer isn't the most robust of mounts.

Sharpcap looks interesting. How does it compare for ease of use to the polemaster software - particularly when used with a Star Adventurer? Oh i see you say you like the wider fov of the polemaster. 

As yet, I haven't tried any option, as I've just put all these bits finderguider and polemaster together. If it clears up soon, I'll try polemaster mode first.

Best bet is to try it to find what you think is best for you. I see what you mean about unscrewing the one and the other....in my case I just have to loosen the thumbscrews and slide the camera and lens through as they are both the same diameter as in this thread below......

Regarding SharpCap, it is quick to solve and works quite well....

Archived