NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to piggyback dslr on tube rings?

waylander

Hi there all, I have an Altair edr80 and want to mount my dslr into the top of the tube rings to take advantage of the mount tracking for some long exposures.

I can’t find a simple “how to” anywhere?! From browsing around it seems I’d be best to get a vixen dovetail for the scope rings, then one of the adm clamps that has a 1/4 screw protruding out of the top with a wheel clamp.

Can anyone offer any alternatives? I didn’t think it would be this hard!

Oh, I should point out I am not mechanically minded.  

How big a lens are you planning to use?

I have  200 mm Canon lens which was piggybacked on an ST80 and this needs to be mounted via a lens clamp (or two, although not at the price shown in that link).  But if you are using a smaller, lighter lens, then mounting the DSLR direct to one of the rings with a suitable stud or bolt might produce acceptable results?

Hi there thanks for the reply. It’s a Sony A7 with a 21mm lens. So weight isn’t an issue really. I’ll be honest I don’t even know what I’d need to attach it to the ring top. I think the holes are m6 or some such. So would I need to buy an m6 of just the right size and fit it to the ring. Presumably I’d have to take the ring clamp off and put it “up”. If you don’t mind the phrase? 

So I believe the m6 holes are 1/4 diameter. Amazon do double ended 1/4 bolts with a thumb screw in the middle. I suppose that would do? They also do 1/4 to 3/8 to attach my bullhead instead... could try that for what it costs. There’s not much supporting the lateral load of the camera underneath though... maybe not an issue for me so much. 

The standard camera mount thread is *usually* 1/4" 20 UNC, although there are some that are 3/16" 16 UNC mostly on larger cameras.  If you can get hold on one of these 1/4" ones, you may find it fits the tube rings?

Archived