LBN468

alan4908

A partial LRGB view of LBN468, a dark nebula in Cepheus. The image represents just over 12 hours integration time and was taken with my Esprit 150.

In addition to being very dim, this object also has quite a few blue stars that shine within the redish/brown dust clouds. Since I've previously found that stars with different colours to the surrounding dust generally means challenging processing should be expected, I decided to experiment with the program Straton which enables the star field to be separated from the dust, allowing the stars to be processed separately from the rest of the image.  

By the way, you don't often see close up views of this object, I selected it mainly for mount performance testing, rather than its aesthetics - I've recently acquired various items of new equipment and I wanted see how these impacted on my unguided mount performance.

Alan

337071314_20.Final.thumb.jpg.9a1a4f539132afd9e254fe616126e39d.jpg

LIGHTS: L:34, R:18, G:12, B:9 x 600s; DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C.

7 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

I think your testing of new equipment/software shows great promise for the future. Nice result

Thanks DP  :hello: 

Yes, I've managed to get better unguided results by ensuring that my mount (eg Pier) is exactly level. Unlike a normal EQ mount where your mount doesn't need to be level at all, 10micron mounts operating in unguided mode give superior results when you are very level. So now I have a Pier with an adjustable tilt facility :happy11:

Alan 

Archived