The Veil part 3 what next ?

Hi all

Due to fantastic input from folks on here i am slowly moving forward with imaging this target  ( i hope ! ).

I was going to try my new oiii filter last night on the Veil but having read up on a few threads decided against it and will wait for the moon to head off. My question is should i try and add more Ha to this image tonight and will that give more detail  ?

I tried combining these subs in Astro art with a previous session a week or two ago but it cropped off some of the image as i didn't frame the same between sessions and i'm not sure the result of the combination of two nights is better . Is there a way of combining subs that are framed differently without the crop occurring ? Also i worked on focus and used a Bhatinov for the last session so hopefully the focus is better. Any more input greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

nonameveil3pslr3jpeg.jpg

nonamecombinedsubsjpeg.jpg

Subs with different framing can be combined without cropping (e.g. in DSS) though the resulting image may show this so it's often better to crop.

You're capturing very good luminance with the above images, though focus looks to need a bit more improvement (unless the images are heavily cropped). How is the Bahtinov mask being used e.g. visually ,on-screen or by taking a brief exposure? When an Ha filter is used the image becomes much darker, so a short exposure can be a useful way to check focus with the filter as focus can't be adjusted before the filter is mounted as the filter will change it.

Adding your equipment to your signature will help others to comment.

8 hours ago, bobro said:

Subs with different framing can be combined without cropping (e.g. in DSS) though the resulting image may show this so it's often better to crop.

You're capturing very good luminance with the above images, though focus looks to need a bit more improvement (unless the images are heavily cropped). How is the Bahtinov mask being used e.g. visually ,on-screen or by taking a brief exposure? When an Ha filter is used the image becomes much darker, so a short exposure can be a useful way to check focus with the filter as focus can't be adjusted before the filter is mounted as the filter will change it.

Adding your equipment to your signature will help others to comment.

Thanks. I had a look around for other images captured with the same gear (will get it added to signature) Atk 314 mono and SW Ed80 with qhy5ii for guiding as I wondered if it was a resolution issue. I found some great Images of the Eastern veil. I knew something seemed amiss so I guess I still need to solve the focus problem first and foremost. This time I focused through the pc screen with the Bhatiinov on and ha filter set in wheel and although it was tricky to see I thought I had nailed it. Admittedly I was worried to play around with the focus after that so I just left it and didn't use fwhm this time. 

I have to get it right next time! 

Archived