NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 50ED

Have the SW SA, and I'm ordering a ball head and an SW 50ED (the guide camera will be next month.) In the meantime I'll be attaching a Nikon D5300 (already have the T-ring) to the back of the 50ED.

Have the standard dual mount dovetail that comes with the SA pro pack. Do I need to buy a separate dovetail  adaptor to fit the 50ED to the SA? 

I'm hoping that question made sense. My eventual plan is to autoguide with the SA. 

the ed50 has a finder bracket so you'll need an adapter or put it on its own dovetail and rings. I have the SWSA and i would seriously consider the ED72 , its what i will get when i can afford one, and maybe not bother guiding with it as it only guides in one axis. 

18 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

the ed50 has a finder bracket so you'll need an adapter or put it on its own dovetail and rings. I have the SWSA and i would seriously consider the ED72 , its what i will get when i can afford one, and maybe not bother guiding with it as it only guides in one axis. 

Had a look at the ED72 and from what I was reading, there's some slack in the focuser. Other than that tho, looks a nice piece of kit.

As the SWSA has an ST4 port I was thinking maybe going with a small guidescope/cam until such time as I can go the full EQ5 route, and in the interim it'll serve me until then. Then once I go the full EQ path, this can then be my guidescope for whatever full scope I eventually opt for.

I realise it's not the more traditional path that's suggested (ie EQ mount, then OTA then other bits and pieces) but I never liked traditional ?

Archived