NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wanderers 16/7/18

domstar

A beautifully clear and moonless Sunday night and after a day of swimming and sunbathing I just couldn't be bothered to go outside. With just Jupiter and a little bit of moon for company since May, I wondered if the astronomy fire was dwindling inside me. Luckily, Monday night was unexpectedly clear so I had a chance to give it a stoke. 

I set up still with the discomfort that's been with me for a few weeks and noticed that sky was not sharp enough to resolve much on Jupiter or dark enough to see much else. Saturn was nice to see after a year. Sagittarius was my main target as I had never seen it with a UHC filter and now I had one. The Swan actually looked like an upside down swan and the Eagle had clear (though a lot less) nebulosity. The Dumbbell looked great too. Overall, I feel I'm not much of a filter person yet. My fingers are too clumsy, star-hopping is more difficult and I'm still not up to spending enough time on a target to make all that screwing and unscrewing worthwhile. 

Obviously, the sky had changed since May and I found I was less familiar with it. I tried a few doubles- Izar, Alberio and Iota Cass. Iota Cass is one of my favourites but I could only split it in two last night. I went to 150x and a split was hinted at. I kept my rarely used 6mm in the scope and turned it on Saturn and what a revelation. The best view I've ever had. Clear and beautiful. When I looked up it was astro dark time and the sky was breathtaking with the milky way clear. I looked at Bodes and the Cigar- still probably the most amazing site in the sky.

Oh, and I nearly forgot Mars. I can't believe how much bigger it was. It was too low to be able to observe seated so I wobbled about bent over. I'm starting to see the Mars attraction and I can see how time spent on it will be rewarded.

In the end, as the time went on, I changed from going through the motions to something like excitement. I'm still not back to my old self but I'm definitely on the way back. Darkness rules.

Thanks for reading.

Archived