M8 and M20 Lum

Rodd

In my efforts to do more broadband imaging of non galaxy targets, I chose a subject that I have wanted to image for a long time.  These targets are located in the absolute worst part of my sky--fully enveloped in a cities light dome at around 20 degrees above the horizon.  Normally, I cannot image here in RGB, let alone L.  I can get away with narrowband. But last night, conditions were the best I have seen them---ever.  At 1:00 the light dome was reduced as the city slept.  My FWHM were 1/2 what I usually get at the meridian.  I did not refocus once all night.  Would that every night was so rewarding.

I know this is just a luminance channel--something I don't typically post by itself.  This mage is a rare exception.  The one issue I can see, is there is a distinct probability that I will have to wait a very long time to collect RGB that is fit to include.  Maybe never.   I hope that is not the case.  I wished I had pushed the framing over to the right a bit, but I can live with that.

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer, ASI 1600mmcool pro, Astrodon Series E Trubalance filters

Lum: 214 30 sec at unity gain.

Lightly processed

Lum-218d.thumb.jpg.4f6b8e5d7397a16e28b7659135f22815.jpg

Here is the image with only the 84 subs collected after the light dome receded.  Median values descended until sub 130 and remained stable.  I think its better.  Or maybe I stretched it slightly differently--its very hard to say.

Edit:  No--I think I prefer 1. after all.

1587516321_Lum87b.thumb.jpg.05e9d1d4ab05395f507a7dcb7fdb3890.jpg

4 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Rodd

I do hope you are able to capture some RGB - I would love to be able to capture images in this region of the sky.  Fingers crossed for you!

Thanks Barry--Fingers crossed for sure.  At least I got the Lum though.  The RGB can be less sound.

Rodd

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

Lovely. But I would like to see it with RGB and Ha mixed in as well. That's three of us with fingers crossed then.

Thanks Wim--I got the red and half the green.  So its moving along.  I will probably collect some Ha, though other than galaxies, I have not had much success using Ha with LRGB data .  With galaxies its easy--the Ha is distinct.  With nebula is more disbursed throughout and the palette tends toward pink.  I know it is due to my lack of processing knowledge regarding mixing NB and BB--something I think PS is better at than PI.  We'll see.

Rodd

3 hours ago, Rodd said:

I know it is due to my lack of processing knowledge regarding mixing NB and BB--something I think PS is better at than PI.  We'll see.

I haven't done this much either. I've had some success with the NBRGB script in PI, and have also done according to a lightvortexastronomy tutorial. I must do more HaRGB coming season.

15 hours ago, wimvb said:

I haven't done this much either. I've had some success with the NBRGB script in PI, and have also done according to a lightvortexastronomy tutorial. I must do more HaRGB coming season.

The new PI iteration has done away with most of the scripts for combination (SHOAIP etc).  I have an older version of PI on one computer and the new one on one computer.  So I still have access to the scripts.   I am comfortable with HaLRGB for galaxies, but other than the Horsehead, have not had much luck combining Ha with nebula.

Rodd

Archived