Counter balancing my scope with weights??

Hello everyone,

Just needing some advice on counter balancing my scope when I have my camera attached. I'm still new to this and I don't want to break or damage the scope or my mount! I have a 114mm Meade scope with a eq3 pro mount. 

There's two parts to this as I'd like to make sure I do the right process as polar aligning and and doing star alignments with the mount takes a while for me (At the moment)!

1. So, what I'm doing is attaching my camera to scope with the necessary attachments and it's all fine until I try and get the scope to track or align ... the motor can't handle the weight as its out of balance and so I moved the scope to balance itself out and works fine but it can't track without having to do a meridian flip (now I don't know how to do that yet and I hope I'm right with the name of the flip) and was wondering if there's a way to counter balance the scope by attaching a weight to the end of the scope to counter balance the camera?

2. When I do align my scope what's the best way to attach my camera? I think it's best I align with my camera attached but it takes along time to get it all "aligned" ... even then without a counter weight it just doesn't track very well, the object slowly moves to out of shot due to the weight  of the camera ... I don't have a finders scope just a red dot, would the finders scope help me with aligning as I have to constantly switch the camera to the setting where I can see what I can see through the scope when the camera is attached but again it knocks it out of alignment!

Any help would be appreciated. It gets a little frustrating for me as newbie.

Thanks

John

Hi John, welcome to the SGL!

Ideally you would have everything attached and balanced  prior to polar aligning and doing your star alignment. The video below is a good example of balancing and I would recommend watching all his videos. Dion in the video has a large reflector but the principal is the same for your scope.

Archived