NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter with io shadow transit and four moons

Stub Mandrel

Last night, as the moons were close to Jupiter, I had a go at one shot colour without a barlow. I used a hefty crop to speed up data acquisition, so the final image is small - but perfectly formed! This might be my favourite Jupiter shot, even if it isn't neck-deep in detail. ?

Lovely Little Jupiter.png

Great shot...

I have just got a ZWO ASi120MC-S camera and took loads of frames and video captures  last night whilst watching the io transit live. I've tried to upload them into Deepskystacker today with zero luck. I've done some research and I will try the crop technique tonight and use Sharpcam as my method of capture... Have you any advice? I might struggle as I'm using a 102 f/11 Starwave and I'm getting the impression I may need a bigger but shorter boat ? 

The transit was amazing and I was successful in watching live which was why I bought the ZWO in the first place... It's just now I've got it I might as well have a go and creating something from my observations.

Thanks

My advice - Don't use  DSS for planets.

Download PIPP (planetary Imaging Pre-Processor) which will centralise the object you want, crop to save storage and save the images ready for stacking (as well as many other things).

Also download Autostakkert!3 for stacking.

For processing planets, use Registax for good quality data, Astra Image for less good data.

Archived