Cannot see 8se base to update firmware help.

Hoping someone has seen this before ! , I have a 8se base with a c8 Carbon XLT OTA , so the firmware on my new Starsense is 4.21 latest as above , my firmware on my original HC is also updated to 4.21 , however my MC is stuck on 5.14 which I desperately need to update so it has the correct software and firmware for the motors to match the new starsense , I should also point out I’m a rookie at this lot so feel free to kick me etc ! . It’s something I have always wanted to do and illness has made me do myself a bucket list and astronomy plus Astrophotography both made it into my top 10 list every time I kept updating my list ! .

so I purchased a good quality FTDI chipped programming cable that works perfectly with a 4se that I have which is about three years old , my idea was the 4se was a sort of crossover as the big scope is too much for anything land based with my dslr or the neximage camera etc. Anyway so updated my 4se all too latest HC and MC firmwares using the cable as above , as we all know the rs232 ports are dead now in the it industry for laptops , portables etc. Anyway so I move onto the 8se base and can I get the base seen by anything ! Hmm nope , the what I’m told is the original little software app that does your HC or MC depending on which one you run will not see the 8se base or a telescope etc, the CFM sees the Starsense as above but does not detect a telescope either when plumbed into the 8se ! So I’m totally stuck and do not know where to go next ! HELP ! ( I have also ordered a rs232 to USB converter cable in the meantime to see if it’s a cable issue but I do not see it as it’s perfect on the 4se every time !?.  Could it be a port problem on the 8se base ? Could it be that I’m facing the wrong way ! Could it be that the milk has gone off ! I’m hoping it’s something stupid as in me or if someone else has seen the same problem etc , thanks in advance for any help guys !. 

Hi

yup first way I tried was via my standard HC , then tried a direct connection to the MC , then tried my starsense HC with the starsense camera plugged in as well , still nothing from CFM bar CFM sees the HC and the camera but no telescope or from the MC individual software app.

also I see at random the starsense HC reports on start up , “ error cannot see telescope model “ etc etc please try rebooting your telescope as until this has cleared you cannot see the Starsense Camera either ! .

so 2-3 attempts and then you see the camera no error messages etc and wants to start alignment, however my MC is on 5.14 and I’m told it needs updating to work correctly with my starsense! It will work with the standard HC and  Cn16 GPS plugged in but still cannot see the Mc via CFM or MC app to update the board and motors , just never finds them ! , 

i can see the HC and MC information from the utility menu on the HC which reports HC 4.21 latest firmware and 5.14 MC firmware on a nextstar 8se base. 

Phew.

I have a used Celestron C8 SE with Starsense. I have not got the exact run-down on this but I checked the firmware levels when I got it.  I did not update the mount firmware as it didn't need it, and needless to say it still works just fine. I can't remember if I updated the Starsense handset or not (I understand that it's advisable to use the later versions) and I did not update the camera firmware ( I recollect that the camera only updates if you connect an update cable to it directly).

I always advise people to only update firmware if you know what problem or issue you are fixing, and not just for the sake of it.   If you are still struggling, I can probably let you know what firmware revisions I am running if you PM me. 

still playing games , love the never ending issue , wish I could just at least get into the 5.14 firmware it shows as loaded on to the MC via the HC ! If I could at least reload the FW again and check it would be a godsend , CFM nope, MC updater nope , HCupdater yes but of course not what I want to work doh ! 

Non of the software from anywhere I can find will see the telescope as in the 8se base at all for identifying the boards, or to interrogate the loaded firmware 5.14 which I am getting more and more convinced is corrupted from a previous update or service :(((( ....

Archived