Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommended 1.25" EP sets for Antares 12" dob

Okay. I'm planning for a Nagler in the future, but $600 is a bit of a wait to accumulate. In the mean time, I'd like to toss maybe $200 (or a little more, depending on the circumstance) on a decent set of EPs. I'll be viewing everything possible: planets, DSOs, star clusters (although I know nothing will compare to a 2" nagler for that). I would like quality even if I go a little over budget [cringe]. Thus far I've got two GSO plossls supplied with the scope - 9 & 32mm, very reasonable quality for freebies, and a 10mm speers - waller that's worked out well for me so far. My favored retailer is all-startelescopes.com but will certainly consider others, though I balk at paying duty...

On a side note, with the above mentioned setup would it be recommended to go with a 30mm or 40mm 2" EP to take in things such as pleaides? I'm finding the fov to be too small on the 32mm 1.25" to see all of it, but I don't want to sacrifice magnification (by going with the 40mm) if I don't have to. I plan on this being a high budget, one time investment so I'd hate to get the 30 and not enjoy the "spacewalk" feeling, or the 40 and wonder how much more detail the higher mag would coax out...

:undecided: I know guys, the only real solution would be to get both and it may happen, but that's a long time in the future if it is to be so.

Archived