M81 & M82

Firas

M81 & M82 taken in april from Bortle sky scale 8. 
HaLRGB composition with 9.8 hours integration time in total. 

I tried to capture the starburst in M82 with 2.5 hours of H-alpha, but the results were rather disappointing in that respect. I realised that I need to triple the integration time in Ha to be able to get it, but the dark season is now over in Stockholm.
IFN showed some hints but I decided not to go after it due to the weak signal.

While processing the image, I came to an interesting conclusion, namely, that it isn't always wise to go after details if the the whole image aesthetics doesn't support it! Better to give the image a dynamic ghostly feeling than destructive  sharp details. 

After all, it was a joy to process and to overcome each obstacle in the complex processing of HaLRGB composition. 

Finely, a long session with Wim, the Pixinsight guru had a great impact on improving star colour amongst other improvements. Thank you Wim! This is for you! 

M81_LRGBHA_ps.thumb.jpg.f829724e52f10cfd423ff335be383ad7.jpg

Acquisition details here; https://www.astrobin.com/346017/

Thanks!

I'm still amazed at what can be achieved with a modest setup (ed80 on a heq5 and a kodak kaf-8300 chip) from a balcony in central Stockholm. Well, the chip isn't modest maybe. Perhaps it's the full well capacity of this chip, that allows one to capture signal despite an insane amount of man made light.

41 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Perhaps it's the full well capacity of this chip

I am sure it will yield better results with better skies. Will test that in the autumn. 

Archived