WO Zenithstar 73 or other.

Hello all,

Could someone please help me with their thoughts.

I'm looking for an ~80mm ED refractor for grab n go though eventually I want to use it to try a little astrophotography.

I went to RVO and they showed me a WO Zenithstar 73mm.  I've been looking for some reviews on line but can't find any.  I've also been looking at the dovetail and wondering how the balance would work out with a 2" diagonal (or DSLR) and Hyperion fitted especially since the focus lock screw could be in the way.

Would the Zenithstar be OK or should I be looking elsewhere, an Equinox would have been nice (just missed out on a S/H one) but I don't want an Evostar 80ED. 

Ideally I don't want to spend any more than £700. 

Thanks in advance. 

I have been pleased with my WO Zenithstar 71 I think the optics are very good.  There are however a few design issues I found, one of which was the soppy little foot provided which I had to mount on a longer dovetail to get balance.  This was needed anyway as it would be impossible to get hold of and turn the focus locking nut at the back without it.  Some people actually utilised the rotation option and turned the end of the scope upside down in order to reach this nut.

I would also consider whether you want to mount a finderscope on it. 

Those issues aside, its a lovely little scope for imaging.

Carole 

Carole,

It's got the dovetail bar on it. If you look at a picture of it on the RVO site you'll see it has quite a long dovetail which can't go backwards because of the focus lock screw.  Never thought about turning the focuser around, you shouldn't really have to do that though.

It comes with the rings for the finder but I would have to fit a shoe as I normally use a red dot finder.

Ah yes I see what you mean, its quite different to mine.  Mine had a soppy little foot as in this photo which I added an extra dovetail to which also lifted it enough to tighten the focus locking nut.  Though as you can see it was very tight to get my fingers in that small space. 

Ignore the finderguider mounted on top, it was an experiment that turned out to be too unstable. 

These days I mount it on top of an ED80 as part of my dual rig and it sits nicely into the SW Guidescope mount, so I don't have those issues any more with the focus locking nut.  

WO SW Finderguider mounted.jpg

Archived