NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First time using the Dongle with Sky Safari

wookie1965

Lovely clear night but very cold. plugged the dongle in started the app connected then onto alignment Arcturus and Zosma where my choices.

Started Sky Safari up as I was in the area went to M 66 to see if I could get the Leo trio no luck.

mucking about with the app as not used before went to M 51 no luck there either I was a tad disheartened then so said to myself go for some old favourites and see what else I can pick up.

M 81 & M82 easily seen in the 25mm now I am getting somewhere M 101 a first for me but just a blob. M 3 next not much better then M 53 the same just blobs.

As I am looking at the app Cor Coroli is on screen so said goto, what a lovely double white primary the secondary yellowish.

Up NGC 457 (Owl Cluster) there it was the eyes unmistakable great view in the 15 mm BST.

Auriga was right next to this so went for the Clusters the Star fish M 38 being the best. 

Looking around the sky I could see Vega so knew Hercules would be high enough so went to M 13 was I disappointed just a smudgy blob tried various eyepieces nothing, other nights I have seen the central core with outlaying stars popping out at me not last night. Onto M 92 a much forgotten cluster giving its famous neighbour M 13 but I think this is a cracking cluster unfortunately this was just a blur as well.

Checking the scope there was no dew but the stars did not look right as seen before in the Tal they where not clear with spikes on them, I thought it must be the diagonal but checked that this morning.

I need to practice with the app more and find a work around to find double stars the app does not support the SAO catalogue which is a bit frustrating.   

Looking at the Diagonal It looks spot on to me.  

20180321_080459[1].jpg

20180321_080507[1].jpg

I haven't had very much luck with my dongle. That didn't sound dirty at all. But seriously. I'm using the SkyBT. My phone can see it, but it never seems to connect for some reason. I've tried removing it and repairing it with the phone, but no luck. So if you can get yours to work, you're doing better than I am.

Archived