Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrometry.net API lite published

jusasi

Hi there folks,

I just wanted to let you know that I've just released a "lite" version of the astrometry.net API. The aim of this little project was to create a simpler solution for those that need the API (but not the fluff on top of it that Nova provides) and perhaps have the need or desire to run it locally, or to set up a copy of the solver service. I know some people may have trouble running the solver on their own machines (Windows), or the software they use simply need to use the interface the API provides - this is designed to tackle that problem. Personally I already found a use for this, as KStars for Windows does not support other than the API solver - it was a perfect test subject. Anyhow, if for one reason or another you want to run your own solver-as-a-service :) this may help you!

The code and installation instructions are available in the Github repository: https://github.com/Jusas/astrometry-api-lite

If you have any comments, use cases, want to test it and help finding bugs, your help would be much appreciated!

Happy plate solving!

15 hours ago, wimvb said:

Can this replace ansvr on windows, and be used in Ekos/Kstars?

I've not used ansvr, but if it does use the same API endpoints as with nova.astrometry.net (I suspect it does) then yes, it can.

And yes, I've personally used this with Kstars/Ekos myself, I've installed the Linux subsystem to my Windows 10 (you can get it from the Microsoft Store, easy installation instructions) and I run the astrometry-api-lite there.  My setup is basically a Raspberry Pi running indi server, then connecting to it with my Windows 10 laptop and running the the solver api on the laptop.

I have a similar setup: Raspberry Pi (Ubuntu Mate) running indiserer. I use Ekos/Kstars on my Windows 8 laptop. At the moment I use nova.astrometry.net for platesolving, but would like a standalone version. I find ansvr on windows a bit unstable; I never know if it's working and what may be the cause if it doesn't.

Will your api also run on a Raspberry pi or other single board computer? I'm upgrading my RPi to Rock64, which is a lot faster. Am just considering alternatives to my current solution.

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

I have a similar setup: Raspberry Pi (Ubuntu Mate) running indiserer. I use Ekos/Kstars on my Windows 8 laptop. At the moment I use nova.astrometry.net for platesolving, but would like a standalone version. I find ansvr on windows a bit unstable; I never know if it's working and what may be the cause if it doesn't.

Will your api also run on a Raspberry pi or other single board computer? I'm upgrading my RPi to Rock64, which is a lot faster. Am just considering alternatives to my current solution.

The API runs on Raspberry Pi just fine - however performance/speed might not be very high for completely blind solves. The API itself does not eat much resources, so it just depends on how well the solver can perform with the Raspberry Pi ARM CPU (and probably the SD card read speeds affect it as well). But yeah, it'll run, at least runs on my Pi 3B.

Archived