Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Keyhole, Tarantula and other Nebulae from New Zealand

moondog

The second night at the Star Party in New Zealand with the Nelson AS was very good. It had been raining most of the previous evening but by 2-0 am the sky was completely clear from horizon to horizon. The site is a very dark one with no LP. After the previous night's BBQ (and drinks!) only 3 of us crept out of our sleeping bags and went outside. The rest got a real ribbing at breakfast for missing the best sky for a long time!

The most noticeable object, apart from the glow from the Milky Way, was Orion, upside down to UK eyes.

Paul's 12 ins F5 Dob was first. This has a 'push to' go-to system with encoders and a custom software package running on a PDA. The collimation of the scope looked to be spot on, and the stars were tight. Using a combination of 2 ins and 1 1/4 ins EP's (some Naglers) I looked at the following nebulae:-

M42 in Orion looked really bright, with plenty of nebulosity and was the usual grey/green colour seen visually. There was plenty of detail to see with fine Trapezium stars, and sharply defined whorls in the nebulosity. No filters were tried, although we had a pretty good range to choose from - with the excellent sky they weren't needed.

The Keyhole Nebula in Carina (part of the Eta Carinae Nebula NGC3372) looked as black as it is supposed to be. Very long and thin sinuous V shape. Embedded in a swarm of stars with the background looking faintly orange. A very interesting object and one I've not seen before.

The Tarantula Nebula in Dorado (NGC 2070) - part of the Large Megallanic Cloud. Bright, roughly circular, central portion, with lower brightness amorphous shaped surrounding nebulosity. This nebulosity was interspersed with bright stars. Main colour of the nebula was a grey/green. I've seen this before in my ZS66, but not of course in such detail, or so bright.

Rudy shouted out in great excitement 'I've seen the horse's head!'. Rudy's scope is a very high tech 16 ins F4.9 Dob, with 'push to' go to, encoders and custom software package run by a PDA. This scope also has a built in battery and charger with heater tapes for the finders. Rudy uses mainly Naglers and University Optics EP's.

So over to Rudy's scope to have a look. He suggested I slightly rock the tube in order to see the horse. I peered down the Nagler and rocked the tube - and there it was!. The neck was horizontal with the nose pointing upwards. I had to keep moving my eye and rocking the tube a little, but there was no mistaking the black shape of the Horse Head Nebula (B33) against the faint background glow. A most memorable sight and one I think that not many have been fortunate to see - unless they have access to a large scope and an excellent sky! I don't think I'd ever manage this with my 8 ins SCT from my West Yorkshire site.

Bit of a contrast when I went back to my WO ZS66 on its photo tripod. Still you can't waste a good sky!

Using the 25 mm Russian Plossl I looked at M42. I have to say that the view was as good, if not better, than I've had from the UK with 4 and 5 ins achros' Very bright with plenty of nebulosity. Used the 7 mm Lanth to look at the core and could easily count the Trapezium stars - the detail was surprising.

I'd be happy to get a similar quality sky again while I'm in NZ but I know I'll have to be very lucky.

MD

No filters were tried, although we had a pretty good range to choose from - with the excellent sky they weren't needed.

Wow that about says it all... excellent report MD, thanks! :thumbright:

Did you need a filter to see the (rocking :) ) Horsehead neb in Rudy's scope? With that kind of aperture, my guess is no.

Archived