NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommendations on Altair GPCAM2 Mono

Ja_ck

Hi,

I have a Skywatcher SkyMax 127 Skyscan AZ GOTO Telescope and im looking at to use it to takes images of planets and Deep Sky Objects.

Would the Altait GPCAM2 Mono be a good fit and work with my telescope?

Kind regards

You might want to check what you can see with that setup first, Field of Vision wise:

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astronomy-field-view-calculator

Pixel size microns: 3.75x3.75 um
Resolution in pixels: 1280x960
ZW ASI120 seems to have a similar sensor size.

Without a focal reducer, I think you are going to struggle getting a lot of DSOs onto the sensor. They will just be too big.  Planets would be fine though.

Now mount wise, that should be fine for planets, as you will take video for those using the GPCAM.  DSOs, bright ones should be alright at quick capture rates but again at that Focal Length and without being an EQ mount (field rotation), the captures will have to be short.  You are probably heading into the EAA range, so it might be worth seeing if anyone is getting good results with that setup in the Video Astronomy forum.

That camera will make a decent planetary imaging setup with your scope, but I wouldn't think too hard about doing DSOs with it. It can be utilized as a very decent guiding camera once you make the move to DSOs, but you should get a lot of joy and fun out of that camera with your Mak for planetary, lunar etc.

Archived