NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging report (and unique chance to test effects of distant light pollution)

Vega

Last night was fantastic for imaging in Somerset with zero wind, zero cloud and good seeing. However this co-incided with Bridgwater Fair (one of the largest in the UK). I could clearly see a white glow rising up from my SW sky a good 50 degrees or so (could even hear the screams and music carrying through the air on occasion :p ). Anyways, I set up my kit on NGC6946 as planned while true darkness approached. Couldn't see the milky way at all. I realised that my target had not yet passed the meridian and the Synscan was in a position where I only had about an hour before the bottom of the tube would hit the tripod legs while tracking :shock: . {Does anyone know how to tell the GOTO to view the object with counterweights on the Western side of the mount in this situation? (without manually slewing)} Anyways the sky still wasn't properly dark and I thought, the later I wait the further from the fair lightglow my target would be. By about 9:30 I set out again and this time the galaxy was far enough over for the synscan to decide to view it with counterweights facing West. I spent quite a bit of time focusing and centering and testing exposure lengths. Then set her up for 60x75 sec exposures I Just couldn't stretch any more than 75secs without hints of star trailing :smiley: . Went inside to watch Jonathan Ross.

A good hour and a half later I just couldn't resist another crack at M31 with the 70-300mm zoom now that I had PEC correction running. Now that the fair had petered out, the milky way was clearly visible! It was like looking at a different sky, such a difference. I spent ages trying to get the camera the right orientation using an SLR bracket screwed to the top of the scope rings. Once I finally got it all sorted with focusing and centering I set it up for 30x150sec exposures at full zoom (300mm). I realised I could have got away with 180 after trying some later on but hey, I needed to sleep at some point in the night! Probably not ideal but once all the subs had finished it was 3am so I decided to setup and run the darks in the locked shed so I could go to sleep. There wasnt too much of a temperiture difference to outside.

Im processing the two images at the moment. One very very freaky thing is that while looking through them, I noticed about 10 of my 60 shots of NGC6946 suddenly went out of focus (Like proper donuts) then back in to focus again! :shock: . Considering I never touched the setup when it was taking the shots, this has freaked me out a but and I dont really wanna think about it too much :bino2: . (ImagesPlus just finished alinging 38 out of those 60 NGC6946 shots so gonna go see what I got) Will post up the images sometime today.

Cheers

Matt

Archived