NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Artemis 285 help needed

I've recently acquired a used Artemis 285 (no other sort, I suppose!) which has proved to be a real headache. The CCD itself works ok, but I can't get decent images from it. The fundamental problem I think is that the CCD optical window is completely loose - it has a couple of millimeters to fall forward before touching the nosepiece block, and nothing is holding it in place. I don't know if there was supposed to be an O-ring or something similiar in there, but there isn't. Anyway, this causes a few serious problems

- moist air can get into the CCD chamber, so icing renders the CCD unusable within about 15 minutes

- equally, dust can get in too, and both the underside of the chamber window and the CCD itself are pretty dirty

- with the window in place, i'm getting odd bloated oval-shaped haloes around bright stars (they look very similar to sag in the optical path, but the CCD body is square and they vanish if the chamber window is removed). I think this is because the window can 'fall' so that it's not perpendicular to the light path, and some kind of reflection/other effect is causing the oval stars.

I think these are all related to the same problem (the optical window isn't held in place). So my questions:

- how is the window supposed to be secured in place? what's missing? it doesn't appear that anything has simply come adrift.

- how do I clean the optical window and the CCD itself?

- once I get the CCD window sealed correctly, is there dessicant that needs baking to remove the moisture? how to I get at it to bake it?

any other thoughts would be welcome too...

Ben

Speak to Steve Chambers, he's redone the dessicant for me before on this one, and the optical window seal too. First time I had it (first week ) it fogged up, but the dessicant change sorted that out.

The window was pretty secure when I had it, but Steve I am sure (mention it was mine) will be able to help

If not, let me know

Hi Ben,

I have one of the original run, so I assume it's the same as the one you have.

- how is the window supposed to be secured in place? what's missing? it doesn't appear that anything has simply come adrift.

They came with some o-rings cut out of a thin plastic foam sheet - one went on either side of the glass to hold it secure and create a seal. I'd suggest you contact the seller and ask them where they are.

Failing that, you can probably easily make some new ones if you can find some 2mm foam sheet.

- how do I clean the optical window and the CCD itself?

If you remove the optical window you can clean it carefully using the same process you would for any coated glass - I used a camera lens cleaning kit, solution and cloth.

The ccd is more delicate, although I've successfully used the same method.

There's lots of resources online about ccd cleaning.

- once I get the CCD window sealed correctly, is there dessicant that needs baking to remove the moisture? how to I get at it to bake it?

Yep - if you remove the back cover plate of the camera, you'll find a syringe on the end of a rubber tube, it contains the dessicant.

Empty it out into a bowl then put it in the microwave for 30secs. Depending on the type (I think they shipped with various types) they may change color when properly recharged - mine went from pale yellow to bright orange.

Let it cool for a few secs and put it back in the syringe.

any other thoughts would be welcome too...

You'll love it when you get it going :smiley:

Hope that helps,

John

• 2 weeks later...
No problem Ben - just wondered is all.

Thanks for the offer of help, it was really appreciated (even if I didn't reply direct... :roll: ) - i've had a couple of small dramas with kit this year, and it's amazing how willing people from SGL/UKAI have been to try and help out

Archived