NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Second scope for imaging-choice

gazza

Hi,

Hope this query is OK in the imaging forum...If not please move it

I have recently discovered the joys of imaging with a refractor after purchasing an Esprit 100. I've decided to get rid of my newts - 8"Quattro and 130PDS, have never been able to get a perfectly flat field over a KAF8300  (at least to my satisfaction - my partner reckons I'm obsessive and masochistic). I own all the right tools, but even a minute change in configuration requires re collimation and I'm over it. I believe a lot of the issue comes from having to use a coma corrector that is excessively sensitive to tilt (Skywatcher 4 element).

The Esprit is absolutely perfect edge to edge and I love it. I would now like to add a larger instrument, but have a limited budget. My options are:

ES 127MM FCD100 + Riccardi reducer

OR

MN190 - I know , not a refractor.

an Esprit 120 is just a bit beyond me price wise

Several people have recommended an MN190, saying that because it does not require a corrector the problems I have with getting a flat field will go away, and that once set up it is like using a refractor. The ES scope is in the mix as I can get a new one at "staff price" through contacts.

The scope will be permanently mounted in my obs, so not moved after installation.

Does anyone have any experience imaging with these scopes, or have comments? Haven't seen much about the FCD100's?

My heart says the refractor, but my wallet says the MN190........

Ideas?

cheers

Gary

Archived