NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary Imaging - Mixing Images

Hi all,

I was just wondering when doing planetary images of jupiter / Saturn is it possible to combine stacked images from a web cam, with iamges taken on a more sensative ccd such as a starlight xpress to bring out more detail.

Was just owondering if you could stack web cam images to get final result, then stack exposures from the starlight xpress and then merge the 2 together in photoshop.

The philips are a decent cheap little cam for planetary work for sure :bino2: I'm sure the pixel size and resolution are different between the cameras so I think you'd come across resizing issues somewhere along the line (hoping someone can come along and confirm that :smiley:)

the resolution can easily be changed in photoshop as you say but I'm wondering how much that will affect quality as well. It's definitely a nice idea, just not entirely sure how practical it is in practice :smiley: I'm not even sure that pixel size is entirely relevant to resizing, although it will affect sensitivity and FOV for sure.

I have had a go at this, though with a lower end CCD. I took colour with an SPC900NC and monochrome with a DMK21 CCD. I have a small c90 spotter scope but got a better result than the webcam could provide. First image was with an SPC900NC only, second is combined with the DMK21 image. The C90 scope doesnt have much ability to get detail.

post-14956-133877346819_thumb.jpg

post-14956-133877346824_thumb.jpg

My monochrome cam produces much better results than the SPC, I used PSPx2 to combine the images. I pasted the colour shot over the mono as a new layer, set transparency of the new layer to 50% and aligned them. Then I set transparency back and changed the blend mode to colour (legacy). The result is only the colour information from the webcam shot layer, merged into the detail of the mono shot. I will be using this method again, look forward to seeing what results you get in your 8"

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to say this but it will likely not work. Webcam images tend to be stacks of hundreds - if not, thousands - of frames taken in a short timespan. That *short timespan* is of the essence since your target will have moved and rotated, possibly significantly, by the time you swap cameras. Also, without having the ability to stream video the SX will never be as good at planetary shots as the webcam and derivatives simply because it cannot capture the data fast enough.

In essence then, you may sort resolution/pixel size issues but you will have major problems getting, for example, two shots of Jupiter taken only 15 minutes apart to align.

Arthur

Archived