NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skytracker advice

Juno6

Just looking for a bit of advice for using my Ioptron skytracker,

Its an antique first version of the skytracker before it had the left/right control knobs. Been using it with a pan/tilt tripod until now but it sags with the more weight I put on it. So I have removed the pan/tilt head and have the tracker connected directly to the flat tripod base screw.

Two problems,

1- Have to move the tripod by hand for left right adjustments which is difficult 

2- I dont have a level on the tripod legs and no level on the tracker itself

I dont really want to buy a newer version of the tracker as it still tracks okay and the tripod legs are nice and stable but reasonably light which I like for portability. Would the fiesol 70 panning base sort me out with a tiny spirit level stuck on the top of the tracker?Only other option woul dbe to spend loads of money upgrading everything which I dont want to do unless something breaks,

thanks for any advice in advance

I don't suppose there's any way to mod the tripod so that the 3/8" attachment screw is free-turning? That way you could leave it a smidgen loose, do your polar alignment, then crank it the rest of the way tight without turning the tracker. This is essentially how the center-balanced equatorial mounts from iOptron work -- there's a big honkin' shaft that pokes up as a 3/8" threaded rod, and then the accessory tray slides onto the other (bottom) end. An enormous hand-nut tightens the tray up against the tripod legs, effectively locking the whole works in place.

You could also look for a panorama adapter of some kind that's designed to mount between the tripod and the head.

Thanks for the reply. Good idea but not sure how you would do that.

Decided to place an order for the feisol panning base couple of days ago but yet to receive for fine tuning. 

Got polaris in the centre of the reticle tonight with the aid of a laser after realising I have been using the wrong latitude and been aligning to the wrong star all along!

Archived