NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Glasgow Science Centre - Planetarium

Charic

Thank you Lorraine and Nina for your show 'Wonders of the Night Sky'  live from the Planetarium,  inside Glasgow's Science Centre, Saturday 2nd  December.

The show was much better than expected, and over the first few minutes, the host, Lorraine, talks about the levels of  light pollution the folk living in Glasgow's city centre, we then closed our eyes, counted to five,......... Wow!  dark sky, and dramatic is not the word, the weather and light pollution now gone, the difference between a dark sky, and the skies above Glasgow is spectacular, and even though this is still a simulation, it just seemed to look right, so life-like, due to the scale of the presentation (reminded me of just how lucky I am from my observatory, though I do need to leave the confines of my garden for the better views), however, based on Stellarium, with a full sized  15 mtr hemispherical dome above me, and two dedicated  digital projectors, it was mighty impressive, to say the least, as were immersed into the show.

I just wish I could replicate this amount of detail in/on a dome of my own!............and those seats, talk of comfort.

Anyone visiting Glasgow should take a visit if that’s your interest. This show lasted approximately 45 mins, and on exiting the Planetarium, I chatted with the hosts for a few minutes  and was fortunate/invited to stay a tad longer for a sneak preview of a new event being planned, just us and the editor's!!!!!  Looks promising? 

Thanks again.

Archived