Planets on the Go!

Hayduke27

I haven't been out with my scope for almost 2 weeks due to the bright moon and also elk hunting season.  I have been missing the stars, and looking skyward with my bare eyes or my binoculars whenever I get the chance.  On Friday morning I was driving to my hunting spot and was a little early still as I arrived.  I happened to have a very clear view of the eastern horizon and saw venus rising.  I decided to take a quick look with my binos, and I was astonished to find Jupiter in the same field of view!  As I observed them, the clouds turned from a dark red to a bright orange, and when things were at their brightest a plane bisected the planets, leaving a flaming orange contrail brightly illuminating its path.  It was a really spectacular sight to witness, and it really set a wonderful mood for the rest of the day.  Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that Mars was visible at this time as well, and provided even more eye candy!  I only had about 10-15 minutes to look skyward, but I caught the best of the sunrise coupled with the planets, and I felt very lucky.  What a great way to start a day!

BTW-- If anybody was unaware, Jupiter and Venus will be extremely close in the sky tomorrow (Monday) morning just before sunrise!  :bino2:  If the skies will clear up a touch, I would like to get up and take a look before work.  

I made it out this morning to see the planets close to each other.  I just grabbed the binos and headed up to an elevated spot with good views to the eastern horizon.  It had been a cloudy night, and at first the clouds were still residual and not cooperating.  However, after about 30 minutes of scanning the broken line of clouds, now bright orange with the sunrise, I finally spotted Venus through a hole, and immediately noticed Jupiter as well.  I got a good 20 minutes of viewing in, all the while both planets were passing in and out of a thin strip of cloud cover.  It was worth being out there!  Fun morning!

Archived