Learning to like luna 30/10/17

domstar

I'm really starting to get into lunar observing. On a bitter, breezy but clear night I set up on the balcony. I have the virtual moon atlas on my laptop and I'd never looked at the terminator function before. This is brilliant. It lists the best views for the time- in this case 77 percent- in order of how interesting they are. Before I discovered this  I'd just  looked at a few craters and maybe found out their name, but with this function I was able to try more subtle sights.

So this time I saw Dome Milichius- a tiny volcanic dome (I would never have known it was there) and Rimae Hippalus- some faint parallel lines around Hipplus- itself a beautiful but subtle crater. I spent quite some time on the walls of Sirius Iridium, which showed detail and differences on different stretches. I would've noticed Copernicus and its beauties anyway and I lingered on the central mountains a while.

My views were mostly at 90x which I seem to always prefer to my 6mm 150x- exit pupil? not enough aperture for the mag? The seeing was great (not that I'm experienced enough to judge) and when I looked at the moon I just wanted to eat it.

Also, thanks to @Astro Imp I successfully gave M 57 a look for the first time. I can't wait to go back there.

So no need for a dark site, no need for dark adaptation, easy to find, and spectacular. Discovering the moon is a bit like when I found out that my Play Station 2 also played DVDs (that's a few years ago now).

Thanks for reading.

2 minutes ago, domstar said:

I've done the first one.

Only 99 to go, they do get a bit harder as you progress :icon_biggrin: I've been at it for a while and have 17 to go to complete, the difficulty is catching the right phase when it's not clouded out.

Good luck.

I'd always assumed the Lunar 100 was fairly easy and bascically an introduction for beginners. Several magazines I'd seen made a lot of the difficulty of observing Hadley Rille, and I managed that without too much difficulty.

Decided to try working through it systematically a few days ago and got a bit of a shock. Trying to view the rilles in Pitatus with an 8 inch Dob (other than the one point where it widens out near the crater rim) has quickly disabused me of any notion that aperture is a secondary consideration for lunar or planetary observing.

Archived