I have Quistion:

My telescope is Celestron NexStar 8 SE 8.0"/

• [li]2032mm f/10.0 Schmidt-Cassegrain [/li]
    [li]Motorized Altazimuth Mount [/li]
    [li]"GO-TO" Capacity [/li]

i'm in my way to buy Equatorial Mount .

but , i have seen something called Wedge

the info about the Wedge is:

With built-in azimuth and altitude adjustment controls for easy polar alignment, this wedge has a 25-90° latitude range. A wedge is not necessary for visual observing or for shorter exposures involved with lunar and planetary photography. But for long duration exposures of perhaps 5 minutes or more, it makes an enormous difference in the sharpness of the image.

Convert Altazimuth Mount to Equatorial Design A wedge aligns an altazimuth-mount telescope so that stars do not become streaks in the image .

is that ture ?

if Not , what is your recomandation in which mount shall i go ?

1. Sirius EQ-G Mount with GoTo Controller

2. Atlas EQ-G Mount with Dual-Axis Controller

3. Atlas EQ-G Mount with GoTo Controller

4. Celestron Advanced (CG-5) Computerized Mount

I want to install my celestron telescope tube to the mount .

Do I need any accessorys?

WAITING FOR YOUR ADVICE , PLEASE.

Thank you in advance & Best Regards.

Mohahamed

Hi Mohahmed,

Nice to hear from you again :D

I use a Celestron CPC800 on a wedge/pier which I designed and had manufactured.

Its a fixed design with only slight adjustment for the latitud eof the viewing site. Here it is before I built the Observatory around it...

8552_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

To answer your question A Wedge does allow you to use a fork mounted scope equatorially and allows for the longer exposures needed for astrophotography.

The 8SE OTA mounts to its single arm mount using a dovetail so you should be able to get it to mount on one of the other mounts that you listed.

Regards,

Billy...

I wouldn't buy the wedge for the nexstar 8", that mount is not far off its weight limit as it stands, and the wedge from all of the reviews that I've read is not up to much on its own, that coupled with the fact that the mount isn't ideally suited to long exposure astrophotography unless its guided, which will likely push the mount over its weight limits once you've added a bar and rings + guidescope + guidecam + dslr, unguided these mounts have a tendency to wander backwards and forwards across the target whilst tracking, not a problem visually, but taking anything longer than 10second exposures is very hit and miss.

I own the scope down from yours, the 6SE, the only difference is i have a smaller OTA, the mount is exactly the same, I researched buying a wedge and ended up building my own, I've also added a WO 66 + rail and rings + weight system, I'm pushing it on the weight limit of the mount, I believe your scope is 3LB heavier than mine, so unless you can get an extremely lightweight guiding system going I would recommend getting a new mount that is more suited to the weight and astrophotography.

Archived