SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Asteroid Florence is on its way

I had a session capturing images of close-approach asteroid 3122 Florence last night, to see if I could determine any magnitude variations to show its rotation.

I captured 320 30-second exposures over a period of about 3 hours, and then ran the images through Muniwin software to produce a light curve. Sure enough, my images clearly show a periodic variation of about 0.15 of a magnitude. A small range, but plenty enough for my cam to pick it up. Florence has a published rotation of 2.3 hours, which corresponds with the minima I captured at about 19:20 and 21:40. As you see, there's also a significant minimum in between the two. I guess double minima like this demonstrates significant changes in albedo or shape, although the Aricebo radar images show that it's roughly spherical. Florence is an interesting object. It's a potentially hazardous asteroid with two moons. After its close approach last month, it's now high in the northern sky in Ursa Minor at a distance of 47 million km. It's officially at mag 13.8, but my astrometric measurements make it somewhat brighter at about 13.1.

Here's the light curve:

37474445200_b833a80f5c_o.jpg

And here's a quick stack of a few of the images. No darks of flats:

37732084231_2509ef9e8b_h.jpg

An here's a lovely animation of the fascinating Aricebo radar images, which shows its two little moons nicely:

Triple_asteroid_3122_Florence.gif

Archived