NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

8" Spider replacement - advise

PKondalu

I took the risk of buying a telescope from someone nearby on craigslist. The risk did not work. 

My story so far: The Telescope is a 8" Meade Newtonian telescope. The issue with this telescope was dust on primary and secondary mirrors, and one end of the spider was not fixed tight. First, I removed the secondary and primary assembly, cleaned the mirrors. When I was putting the secondary back, I realized that the bolts that support the spider vanes are very brittle as one of them had broken while tightening the nut. After a DIY hack of fixing the spider, I tried to adjust the secondary  (using youtube tutorials). The disc that was holding the secondary mirror had broken (it was also brittle). When I tried to separate the secondary from the spider, the piece holding the spider vanes at the center had also broken. 

Now, I need a new spider and a secondary holder. Tried contacting Astromaster but, did not get a response. 

Do you think I should spend time in getting a spider and secondary holder for this telescope? If yes, what's your suggestion of a source. I've also seen DIY spider projects. Do you think I should try a DIY spider. Where should I start (homedepot?)?

-PK

It would depend on the diameter of the rods as that will change the size of the diffraction pattern

With there being three you would also get a different diffraction pattern from the bright stars as opposed to the standard 4 vane spider

Plus, with going with three you would need to drill extra holes in your scope ad they will be in different places

Archived