SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SynScan memory

Grierson

Since getting an HEQ5 mount in April I have been controlling it with EQMOD. Having finally got round to unpacking the handset yesterday I went through the initialization procedure by inputting all the required information including time and date. Could someone tell me if the handset should remember this info when no external power is present as, when I come to look at it this  morning, the time and date are wrong with the time appearing to start from the time the power was switched off last night. The longitude and latitude and other info remains correct. I had assumed that there would be battery back up but maybe I'm wrong. Many thanks, John 

It won't remember the time and date - that has to be set on each use

Another thing to remember is daylight savings time - that should be "remembered" by the handset each time but needs to be changed accordingly.

David

No problem John - and just in case you hadn't noticed you'll have to set the tracking speed in Settings to Sidereal, Solar, Moon etc.

If you want to plug your EQMod serial cable into the handset so you can use it and EQMod without swapping it out for observing vs. imaging sessions you need to put the hand set into PC Direct Mode under utilities while using EQMod.

Again, something you may already know but may be helpful if you didn't :-)

David

Thanks again David. I'm not too sure that I have understood the way of using either EQMod or the handset without swapping cables. I connect the computer to the mount using a Lynx EQ Direct cable, via a hub. This has an 8pin RJ45 connector on the mount end (and a USB3 connector on the other) Are you saying that connecting the computer directly to the handset's RJ12 Multi-Purpose port effectively does away with the EQ Direct cable? If that were indeed the case that would give me a problem since I only have an RJ45 port on the lap top and of course a second cable would be needed.

Like many a poor soul :happy11: I have to set up the rig in the garden for each session and the whole thing is controlled over a single USB from the house. That works well although I have recently added a focuser and I've not yet had chance to try it. It may be data overload!! I don't really want to add more cables if I can avoid it.

There are a myriad of things I don't already know about this hobby David. I continues to be a long, long learning curve. - John   

No problem John

The idea of connecting the mount to eqmod through the handset is only useful if you intend to do any observing in my experience.

I use it in this configuration as it means I don't have to disconnect eqmod cable from the mount and then connect the handset to control the mount while observing.

You do need to get a different cable to run from the rj45 to the hand controller though - one that ends in the rj12 config to plug into the hc

Something like this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-rs232-serial-cable-for-sky-watcher-mounts.html

I just find it easier to keep the hc plugged in and stuck to the side of the mount - so when I observe there's no cable changes.

David

Thanks once again David, I'll bear your comments in mind. I have a more pressing issue at the moment in that when pressing the westerly slew key the 'scope slews east and vice versa when the easterly slew key is pressed. As the slew control keys on the EQMod ASCOM control panel work as they should I can only assume that I have input some info wrongly. Having researched the issues others have had and having been over it a number of times and I am d*****d if I can see what it is. I updated the firmware before starting out initializing the handset yesterday and I am coming to the conclusion that there may have been a glitch in the process. I am going to try again this morning. - John    

• 1 month later...

I just unscrewed the backs of 2 synscan hand controllers to end a discussion about needing to charge the backup batteries. There are NO batteries in the newer hand controllers. It is a flash memory, just like the little 8Gb USB memory I have on my keyring, and it has no batteries either! Could be good to know :) The time and date are volatile information, however and need to be updated manually with every session. Does anyone know of a way to input the exact time into the hand controller without using a computer? 

Archived