Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Catena Abulfeda

Nyctimene

August 28th, I was out in the evening for a short, unplanned Lunar session during twilight. Using the 5,1" Heritage Flextube and the Seben Zoom 24-8 mm, I started at the crater trio Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina. My smartphone app LunarMap HD led me to the craterlet chain Catena Abulfeda, that starts directly at the southern crater rim of the 62 km diam. crater Abulfeda and extends SEward right through Almanon C almost up to Catharina. Despite sub-average seeing, the Catena could be made out clearly, presenting with very small craterlets at the beginning and showing somewhat bigger craterlets along the further extension. Nearby crater Sacrobosco (almost 100 km diam.) showed its distinct three internal craters. To the north, Rima Ariadaeus with crater Silberschlag was just at the terminator and quite distinct. The Rimae Sosigenes could not be made out, even at 162x mag (2x Abbe Barlow). Again, a satisfying session with the small(ish) dob, that works well with the budget zoom.

Below a picture (from the moon-wikispaces); Abulfeda is partly shown at top-left:

image.png.d1687128a0dfe58057d9ba0843a41b63.png

Thanks for reading

Stephan

Archived