M16 and 17 et al in Milky Way. 50mm 1.8 and 1200D (modded)

These images are the result of some experimentation in trying to improve my skills in using a camera and tripod for astro stuff. They are both of the same area, south for me and badly affected by London skyglow. The first is a wider field, 60 12 sec subs, F 4.5 if I remember right, iso 800, 50 darks as well, Master bias,stacked in DSS and processed in PS.

59a5c30c75e0c_MWfinalall12secsubs.thumb.png.bde23e86ad0313c1e8ab4a4c0653be18.png

To try and get rid of the trailing, the second image is made up of 122 X 9 sec subs, F 2.5, iso 800, 60 darks and a master bias. The stars are still trailing! They seem to zoom along at that part of the sky... It didn't stack too well so it is quite a crop, but I have to say that I am pleased that 9 second subs seem to have picked up some nice dusty stuff, despite the low altitude, light pollution and ridiculously short exposures!

59a5c47768418_MW9secmostlydone.thumb.png.ee4c3c080072a39c8805410eccda495e.png

Not bad at all really, as far as the sky being polluted with London Lights they have come out quite well.
Even at 9 and 12 seconds exposures there will be marked trailing, and the very low declination of these two objects
will of course exacerbate the effect of the trails. Still a good exercise for your purposes Tim.

Archived