Skywatcher refractor 2" focuser slop

Wpit

I've noticed a lot of slop in the draw tube of my 150 evostar refractor. I noticed this can be fixed by adding teflon shims to the drawtube. Has anyone succeeded with this and if so is there a good thickness and width of tape I should buy? I think the original shim has just disintegrated.

regards will

Many focusers have a tension-bolt you can use to tighten-up (or release) the action on the focuser. Look around on it & under it. Maybe you can find (or take) a photo of the focuser?

I'm glad to see you're not scared to roll-up your sleeves and fix it to your satisfaction. Many people these days would just grouse.

Let's fix it!

Dave

PS - Ah ha! Does your Evostar 150 Have the Dual-Speed Crayford Focuser? If so - it does have the tensioning-bolt. Here's a top & bottom image:

59a488e985795_skywatcher_dual-speed_crayford_focuser_21.jpg.1c87fbdb0e45152ffed08f1c1685c066.jpg

skywatcher_dual-speed_crayford_focuser_2.jpg.0c72296cec04ad8e88a66a98756bdd30.jpg

Thanks Dave

My focuser is the standard R & P focuser and I did find two grub screws. I also managed to lose the top plastic strip when I stripped down I must have inverted the scope while talking the pinion shaft off. Anyway I put it all back and tightening the top screws does improve the slop a lot but I still think the drawtube strips need to be replaced to make it a bit smoother.

i might be getting one of those focusers soon after a recent purchase....

regards will

I converted all my scopes to GSO Dual-Focus Crayfords, except one which won't accept such, and haven't looked back. They are great! The SW, pictured above, is the same thing. A bit of money - yes. But worth every penny in my book. Scalpel-sharp views.

Enjoy!

Dave

Archived