NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Synscan vs Celestron Nexstar

Hi,

I have an AZEQ6-GT and a Nextar 4 mount.  Although we could debate which handset is 'better', I notice that the scroll speed and selection of objects in the Synscan is much slower than the Nexstar (eg scrolling through a list of named stars the celestron speeds up, whereas the skywatcher increments at a slow constant rate).  If you had only one, it probably wouldn't notice, but comparing the two gets frustrating.  Any idea if there is an option on the Synscan to increase this, or ideas on how to improve it?

thanks

Mike

As the Celestron comes from the days before they were bought up by Synta I would say that the software for the display is simply different. Celestron did one thing Synta did another. So you will not get the AZEQ6 to operate in a similar manner.

You might and it is a big might manage to speed up the rate of change. On Meades there is an option to scroll the text on the display quicker across it, if at the default rate it takes ages to read the solar warning before you can acknowledge it and clear it. The solution is to increase the scroll rate of the text.

Thinking is that if there is similar on the AZEQ6 then the software will write to the display quicker and might possibly display the text for less time, so your pick list gets to the next entry a little quicker. That is all I can think of as a possibility. In the worst case the display time is fixed and all you speed up is the write to display time a little.

If the feature is present on the AZEQ6 I do not know, but would expect it to be, where in the menu tree I do not know and if it has the desired effect equally I don't know. That is about the best I can think of.

The slight irony on a small Meade is that the warning takes time to display but the scopes have no object called The Sun, no solar rate and you have to manually get it to the sun by some odd means - the sun does not exist to a Meade, but it warns you about it. Crazy little scope.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the reply on this Ronin, I either missed the notification, or didn't get one, and was (until now) disappointed that no-one had responded.

i cant find anything to suggest it can be speeded up, but will keep looking

Mike

Archived